Thursday, March 5, 2009

To My Navy Wife

Hey Baby,

I feel compelled to write this, despite the fact that I don't know what to say. But I have gotten really good at stringing a whole bunch of randomness together for you, and you have gotten really good at being the only person to decipher my ramblings.

I don't know who we would be if we weren't who we are now... A SEAL, a Marine... In some sort of odd twist of fate, we put aside the competitiveness of our respective branches and somehow managed to fall in love anyway...

I love you baby. I know how hard it is being a husband to a military woman, I can imagine how hard it must be being a wife to a military man. But this is who we are. We do these things because we love to do them. I do my best to give my everything to this great country first.
I have been a better SEAL than husband, I know that without you ever having to tell me. But I have tried to do better, to support you, to be there for you when I could. I know that I fail at it, every single day... It has never been because I don't want to do it. Sometimes it is just not possible.

We have been married for seven months, and we have been apart for almost half that time. And I am once again leaving you. I know that you hate it. And not without reason. The last time was an in and out deal, and three and a half months later I was back... I don't want to put you through this. Through all the worry and the sleepless nights. I don't want you waiting for that call and sleeping with the phone. I don't want your tears staining your face so everyone at your work knows you've been crying again. I also don't want to go bankrupt, buying new glasses and dishes...

I cannot be one of those people who sit back and complain about the world, and do nothing to change it... Like you, I want action, not just empty words. This is the life that we chose, together and apart, for better and for worse... And I love that you won't beg me to stay, even though we both want you to.

I have never been more proud of anyone in my entire life then I am of you, every time I see you or think of you. My heart swells when I say your name, when I hear your name... You are the woman of my dreams, the woman of my heart. I will fight a million wars to come back to you. Any of those other cliches, I will do too. (Walking through fire, slaying the dragons...)

Baby there is nothing that will stop me from coming home to you. I know in the past I haven't always done it in a timely fashion, but I have always come home. The days are long with my thoughts of you. You are my best friend, the love of my life, the woman that I have pledged my entire life to, before God.

I promise when I come back, I will be a better man and a husband that tries even harder to be worthy of the love that you give me. You love me more than the all the sands on all the beaches, and this is something that I can simply not comprehend, as I pack my gear to leave you yet again.

Not everything I take is physical, baby. I take your heart in my hands, your kiss lingers on my lips, your words are still with me, threatening to kill me if I don't bring my ass home to you (I believe the word fine, sweet and/or sexy was in there somewhere...)... Most of all, the most prized thing that I am taking over there with me, is YOU. All those pieces of you that you have shared with me have etched themselves into my soul. Maybe we aren't there together, physically, but we are together every second of every day, just like we have always been... Because you love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment